Sunday, September 12, 2010

SacAnime

So, this is a little break from my usual D&D posts. I wanted to talk about what I did on the 3rd of September that made me miss my Friday game that week. It's also my first post about a convention, I'll be doing a few of these just to give my personal input on things.

So, Sacramento (which is nearby my home) is home to something called SacAnime. It's name is undoubtedly hilarious, and the security is laughable at best... but I have fun. The event usually runs for the first Friday, Saturday and Sunday of September and is not worth the 35 dollars you pay at the door, but the ten dollars is costs with pre-registration is fine. There are professional and amateur cosplayers alike and to be honest, the company isn't half bad. I've never had the pleasure of going to a large convention and I've heard that SacAnime is small and sort of pathetic compared to the big ones like Fanime, but it's all a matter of opinion.The con is held at the Radisson hotel and the layout isn't the greatest but it's improved over the last two years. A good portion is inside and this is great when it comes to the California heat or the winter rains. There are comfy chairs in the lobby and readily available food suppliers.

Friday is a day that really isn't that exciting unless you're wanting to get a jump on the vendor's room. I haven't had a chance to go to the entire day of Friday but it's not their biggest day I can assure you. There is usually some live music, and some games played amongst the attendees. The pre-reg line is longest on this day. It's a good day to go to if you're looking for some prime shopping and a day to get a feel for how things are going to play out for the weekend.

Saturday is my favorite day to go because even from the morning there is a lively crowd and plenty of people. The people who come are awesome, fun and social. You only get a few weirdos and nothing too bad in the way of bad cosplays. You get there early and get in line to get your ticket, the line is longer but it's tolerable with some company. Once you're in the shopping is still pretty good and the vendor's room is packed, but morning is the best time to go shopping because your chances of losing the good items is low still. The day is easily lost while watching anime, spending time with the other attendees and browsing the artist alley. There are the occasional panel through the day and as evening draws near the live music starts and the other things begin to shut down. The rave starts at 10 and while they advertise as family friendly it's really not that bad. The line for that is long and once you're in you won't want to be leaving unless you plan on getting stuck in line again. This is when the furries and the best of the freaks come out to play. It's my favorite event.

Sunday is more-or-less a waste of time. It's a few lazy games, the AMV and Music Video contest, and sales on what's left in the vending room. I wouldn't go unless you really like the atmosphere and have something to do with yourself.

All in all the convention is a good one, simple and small as it may be... I hope to start attending some larger conventions and get a little variety but the area I am in is limited and my cash is also limited, ahahah! If you're ever in the Sacramento area, be sure to hit it up and maybe we'll cross paths!

My overall rating: 3/5